CULT: HYB Re: Re: Bee Pods

  • Subject: CULT: HYB Re: [iris-photos] Re: Bee Pods
  • From: Foley Martin <emjfoley@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:22:27 -0700 (PDT)

Monitor pods until they begin to turn brownish color and small separations in the pod membrane appear. That happens from 60-80 days from when the pod was formed. At that time, remove the pod from the bloomstalk, and split the pod indoors and harvest all the seeds. The seeds are afterripened in small dixie cups until the end of December. Soaked for 2 days in tepid water which is changed frequently. Then fill ziploc bags with wet not damp sphagnum moss and place all the seeds of the cross in one burrow within the sphagnum moss. Zip loc the bags, place them in a brown grocery bag on the bottom row of the refrigerator. End of March, early April, harvest the sprouts. Plant the sprouts, sprout up in professional growers mix and place under lights. Transplanted to the garden sometime in May. Hope this helps.

Martin Foley, Birmingham, Michigan

  lmmunro@hotmail.com wrote:

Martin:
   What do you do with the pods? I have the same thing on my plants,
and I'd love to get some seeds. Have you ever done so? Don't know who
the Daddy is..but that's OK. I'm not trying to produce the next
Dykes; would be just happy to get to see them grow and bloom.
Laetitia

--- In iris-photos@y..., Foley Martin <emjfoley@y...> wrote:
> There are 8 bee pods in the iris garden. 1 on Better Late, 1 on El
Torito, and 6 on River Patrol.