Re: Jan Elizabeth

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Jan Elizabeth
  • From: laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 20:11:02 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., lmmunro@h... wrote:
>    JAN ELIZABETH is just so beautiful. I'm such a sucker for old
> fashioned pinks! Are most of your iris first year?

Yes, I either transplanted or purchased and planted every iris on my farm just
last year (with the exception of a couple of unknowns mixed in with the
perennial border).

> You mentioned you did not know whether she would be back again next
> year. Do you find that alot of them fail to survive after first year
> growth? Or just fail to bloom?  Or that pinks are more finicky?

I don't know what to expect from JAN ELIZABETH next year, but I'm very
worried about her because she has only put on a single increase since I
planted her a year ago.  She did make it through a particularly severe winter
this first year, so I know she's tough.  I'm just worried about her lack of vigor.  I
wouldn't mind a bit not to see bloom on her next year if she would just turn her
energy toward growing increases instead.

I have heard that pinks can be more difficult than other colors here in the frigid
north, but the only pink I've had a significant problem with so far is BEVERLY
SILLS.  I tend to have more problems with bright oranges.  Both
OKTOBERFEST and ROBUSTO rotted out on me before I ever saw them
bloom.

Laurie