[PHOTO] Thornbird | Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:27:34" />

[PHOTO] Thornbird

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Thornbird
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 01 08:22:32 -0000

THORNBIRD (Monty Byers, 1989) TB spaceager

The many faces of THORNBIRD.  The first pic shows a bloom with two purple
horns and one small tan flounce (or is that a spoon - I never have known
the difference). The second pic shows the same bloom from the side -
purple horn on left, tan flounce/spoon on right.  The last pic shows a
bloom with purple horns all around and a big purple color break on one of
the standards.  Almost made it worth looking at!  ;-)

Having never attempted the mechanics of hybridization before, I chose
THORNBIRD to experiment on.  I did a (very clumsy) reciprocal cross
between THORNBIRD's bc bloom and two flowers on the gargantuan TRIPLE
WHAMMY (ok, you can all quit laughing now).  Of my first three pollenated
flowers, two are now growing what appear to be very healthy seedpods -
one on TW and one on TH.  Yes, I'm pretty doggone proud of myself!