New project

  • Subject: [iris-photos] New project
  • From: martweb@gmx.net
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:52:54 -0000

Crossing of TB with Iris species could lead to positive effects. For
example crossing of TB with aphylla leads to reblooming, crossing
with reichenbachii to more robust ones for cold areas. I had a look
at all species with 2n=24 or 4n=48 and found that melitta
(suaveolens) could introduce new genetic material into the Iris
flower. As far as I know it wasn't used for crossings. I myself only
have a small garden, so I am looking for people who also want to help
in this project. You do not have to know much but only have to have
Iris melitta (suaveolens) in your garden. Start and cross melitta
(suaveolens) with a modern TB. This kind of cross has one problem.
Because melitta (suaveolens) is diploid and the modern TB are
tetraploid, most of the seedlings will be triploid and therefore
steril, only very few seedlings will be tetraploid and fertile. You
can check this by looking at the polls. The triploid have only very
few or no polls whereas the tetraploids have much more polls. So the
first step would be to get as many seedlings as possible. Do not
expect to get anything interesting in the first generation (F1) and
keep all fertile plants. The interesting plants will be found only in
the next generation (F2) when you cross the sister seedlings. Please
also help to make this project possible.

Thanks
Martin
(martweb@gmx.net)