Re: TB: Unknown burgundy

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Unknown burgundy
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:20:25 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Francesca R Thoolen" <irisgirl2@h...> wrote:
> Neil, There are several ways to do this, but I would say the most
accurate way is to use a microscope and count chromosomes...."

Many years ago I enrolled in a one-on-one "Readings and Conference"
that involved learning how to prepare slides and count chromosomes.
Accurate for sure, but NOT at all easy.

Perhaps a simpler, and perhaps not even a slower, way would be to
cross the unknown with a few known diploids and tetraploids.
Whichever type produces  plump pods--that aren't balloons--defines
the type for the unknown.

With the intensity of color of the cv in Mike's photo, I would doubt
the unknown is diploid anyway.  It takes dosage effects and/or
aphylla ancestry stirred in to get that rich a color tone.  That's a
tetraploid issue.  TB anthocyanins don't run that deep in diploids in
either BB or Bb levels--that is to say, in any diploids I ever saw or
grew.  I can only speak from my own observations.

Neil Mogensen  zone 6b/7a near Asheville, NC