Re: TB: Unknown burgundy

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Unknown burgundy
  • From: lmmunro@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:41:32 -0000

This does not look like a very old iris to me. Definitely not 1903.
How about The RED DOUGLAS? That's what it looks like to me. I have
seen TRD growing quite short; small rhizome, not very vigorous
grower, blooms late...but oh, those flowers...rich rich red velvety
color, just like yours. TRD has very smooth velvety falls; stands are
a little lighter.
I'll look at my collection of pictures at home to see if there are
other close matches. If you want, I'll send whatever I have including
TRD
Laetitia

--- In iris-photos@y..., Mike U <land_of_mu@y...> wrote:
> I Received this in a trade, with several other named
> irises, marked 'Burgundy'.  I had thought that to be
> the name but after seeing the description for
> 'Burgundy' (Barr, 1903?) I think that was just a
> description of the color.
>
> Here's what I do know about it:  It is 25" tall, and
> bloomed very late, after all the other TB's were done.
> It has a small rhiz, this is first year bloom, & is in
> partial shade with maybe five or six hours of sun a
> day.  Only four buds off this first blooming, but oh!
> were they stunning!! It has quickly become one of my
> absolute favorites in the garden.  That velvety wine
> red color picks up the sunlight like stained glass and
> just glows with it. And its rust colored beards are a
> nice compliment too.
>
> So now I am hoping to try and ID it and I'd welcome
> any suggestions as to irises to consider.  Ideally I
> could narrow it down to a few varieties to try growing
> with it to see if there is a match.  Thanks for your
> input and expertise!
>
> Mike U.
> Olympia, WA  Where it's still dry and sunny - sure
> wish it would rain!

Messenger