Re: Setosa Seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Setosa Seedling
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 18:34:39 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Hensler" <hensler@p...> wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Are there any characteristics that might help identify it as Setosa X
> psuedacorus or Setosa X Sibtosa?
>
> Were these crosses you protected from pollination by another source?
If not,
> you may have a very nice Setosa X Siberian. :-)
>
> Christy
> Skip & Christy Hensler
> THE ROCK GARDEN

The seedling number I have for the plant is incorrect and I've been
trying to identify it. The only  choices I had was Iris setosa
canadesis  (both times as pod parent) and the choice of 1) tall setosa
or 2) cream pseudacorus.  The tall setosa was a seedling of canadisis
X signa seedling. I don't have any photos of it to check although  I
know one of the signa seedlings I had was a sibtosa (the others were
pure setosa). The sibtosa was sterile and never set any seed. The
setosas in this 1st generation ranged in height from 6-44" in height
which was unusual.

All crosses were made on flowers that I opened myself and stripped of
standards and stamens, but not covered. I had two pods from the cross
with pseudacorus and not very good germination. They took forever to
grow and have been moved a few times.

The foliage looks like setosa foliage but floppy and just a tiny bit
thicker the  normal setosa foliage. The stalks are very much taller
then the foliage, about 30".  The plant blooms with the pseudacorus
(and siberian). The flowers are the texture of setosa and
pseudacorous, that is not much texture. The shape of the falls is very
much like the pseudcorus and larger then a regular setosa. The stamens
are black and no pollen can be seen but at the same time none of the
pseudacorus have pollen (too dry and hot here near the end of their
bloom season)

The sibtosas that I have seen seem to have stronger texture in their
flowers (perhaps someone can post characteristics of sibtosas)

The flowers have white veining in throat as well as the yellow seen in
throat of setosas. The falls have a lot of veining on the reverse and
some down the center of the front of the falls. I have taken some
photos but have to download them to the computer and prepare them for
posting.

I had also tried tricuspis X pseudacorous (both ways) but didn't get
any seed.

There seems to be a couple of pods forming on the plant but also more
dead pods. Any setosas that I have grown have close to 100% seed pods
on the plant.

Any comments wellcome.