re: SCARLET BUTTERFLY

  • Subject: [iris-photos] re: SCARLET BUTTERFLY
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:34:30 -0000

Hello Chris,

Not a 1/4 bred, I think.  The pod parent was 'Butterfly Wings'.
This name was registered as TB by C.G. White.  The White rhizome
that was sold as 'Butterfly Wings' didn't match the registered
description and was sold as a quarterbred, not a TB.  Apparently the
TB was never distributed.  'BW' has been an interesting parent.
Roberto Marucchi posted some good photos of it in May '03, '02,
and '01.  Other interesting offspring of 'Butterfly Wings' include
STRIPED BUTTERFLY, RED BUTTERFLY and OLIVE ORCHID all via different
TB pollen routes.  Roberto Marucchi also posted a seedling (maybe
two) using STRIPED BUTTERFLY as a parent.  The photos of it and I
believe a seedling using 'Butterfly Wings' are posted in May and
June '01.  Used with the right parent, it seems
the 'stripes', 'lines' or 'veins' by any name transmit to the
descendants.  Roberto, in fact, posted some quite nice seedlings
altogether and always interesting ones.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 8, USA