Re: re: SCARLET BUTTERFLY

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] re: SCARLET BUTTERFLY
  • From: Christopher Darlington chris.darlington@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:09:06 -0400

Donald,

A fascinating bit of information as always.  SCARLET BUTERFLY looks to
me as if it has more Aril genes than they clain.  Crossing BUTTERFLY
WINGS, which is a 1/8th bred x  a half bred could still yeild seedlings
that look less Aril than SCARLET BUTTERFLY. This is why I'm wondering if
the pollen parent could really be a TB. Is SCARLET BUTTERFLY pod fertile
?

Which nursry sells this one ?  Looks like a must have to me.

Chris

donald wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>
> Not a 1/4 bred, I think.  The pod parent was 'Butterfly Wings'.
> This name was registered as TB by C.G. White.  The White rhizome
> that was sold as 'Butterfly Wings' didn't match the registered
> description and was sold as a quarterbred, not a TB.  Apparently the
> TB was never distributed.  'BW' has been an interesting parent.
> Roberto Marucchi posted some good photos of it in May '03, '02,
> and '01.  Other interesting offspring of 'Butterfly Wings' include
> STRIPED BUTTERFLY, RED BUTTERFLY and OLIVE ORCHID all via different
> TB pollen routes.  Roberto Marucchi also posted a seedling (maybe
> two) using STRIPED BUTTERFLY as a parent.  The photos of it and I
> believe a seedling using 'Butterfly Wings' are posted in May and
> June '01.  Used with the right parent, it seems
> the 'stripes', 'lines' or 'veins' by any name transmit to the
> descendants.  Roberto, in fact, posted some quite nice seedlings
> altogether and always interesting ones.
>
> Donald Eaves
> donald@eastland.net
> Texas Zone 8, USA

Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM