Re: SCARLET BUTTERFLY

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: SCARLET BUTTERFLY
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:21:54 -0000

Chris,
>Crossing BUTTERFLY
> WINGS, which is a 1/8th bred x  a half bred could still yeild
seedlings
> that look less Aril than SCARLET BUTTERFLY.

But 'Butterfly Wings' - at least the one marketed - would have been
a 1/4 bred.  The aril grandparent is supposed to have been I.
susiana.  Therefore any seedling using a TB as the other parent
would have resulted in the 1/8 type cross under the old arilbred
classification system.  Now SCARLET BUTTERFLY would have to be
registered as a TB.  Its growth habits conform to that.

>This is why I'm wondering if
> the pollen parent could really be a TB.

The parentage of SB is given as 'Butterfly Wings' X ROCKET.

>Is SCARLET BUTTERFLY pod fertile?

Not readily for me.  I finally got one pod after three seasons of
trying. Lots and lots of attempts - one of my sieges - that is
daubing every bloom. That pod was using SYRIAN PRINCESS pollen, of
all things.  The seeds looked good and the count was relatively
high, but there wasn't any germination.  I still have the pot of
seeds, but not much hope of ever seeing any germination. Another
successful pod using a different pollen parent would be more likely
to give germination, I believe.

> Which nursry sells this one ?

Mine came from Superstition Iris Gardens.  I can't recall seeing it
offered elsewhere, but other nurseries may have it.

>Looks like a must have to me.

It looks like nothing else I've seen.  If it has a modern
counterpart in color and design, I'd love to see it.

Donald

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM