  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: SCARLET BUTTERFLY
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:55:12 -0000

Hello Sharon,

> Under the modified chromosome set system in use today, SCARLET
> BUTTERFLY might qualify as either a 1/4-bred or TB.  From growth
> habits and flower characteristics alone, I'd guess it's a 1/4-bred
> but karotype analysis would be required to answer the question
> definitively.

I'm going to show my ignorance here :).  Karotype analysis is not
the same as chromosome counting, is it?  Isn't it more akin to DNA
testing in that it identifies a chromosome as being a marker for a
specific species?  Not as specific as DNA testing, but still enough
to identify the probably ancestral source(s) of the chromosomes.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 8, USA

Buy Breakthrough Natural Health Specialties at VitaminBoost.com $20 to $40
Naturally Painless Spray, Coral Calcium, No Snore, EZ Appetite Suppressant.