Re: Variagated seedlings

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Variagated seedlings
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:26:48 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Ives <rives@r...> wrote:
> I posted photos of three seedlings from a Sargent Preston X Sea Power
> cross (one pod, 27 germinated seeds, three variagated).
>
> Here are the same seedlings several months later.  All have remained
> variagated and, as important, as vigourous as any of their sibs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sandy Ives in Ottawa

Sandy & I have discussed this and we have no good explination of this
result. SP has never shown variagated foliage and there seems to have
been no roundup exposure. I don't have any other seedlings fron SP
showing variagation and none on SP (and I have lots of stock to look at).
Usually the pod parent needs to have the variagation. A natural sport
would only involve one out of the pod, not several such as this.
Sandy- I never asked , or if I did I forgot, how many seedlings do you
have from this cross?

Chuck Chapman

http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM