AIS: 2004 Award Winners

  • Subject: [iris-photos] AIS: 2004 Award Winners
  • From: "Lobergs" <loberg@adelphia.net>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:24:55 -0700

Thank you John for the posting of the results.
      It's interesting to look at the voting from a statistical perspective.   I've been an AIS judge for quite a few years, and I have some different viewpoints than when I first became a judge and had a chance to vote.   What I realize, is that a Dykes medal winner can win with a relatively low percentage of votes.
     In 2002, Mesmerizer won by 40.8% of the votes of the top 3 vote getters.   In 2003, Celebration Song won by 43.8% of the votes of the top 3 vote getters.  This year, Crowned Heads won by a 42% of the votes of the top 3 vote getters.     For the 3 years consecutively, the total votes of the top 3 vote getters were 191, 187, and 140.   I am going to assume that this year, 2004, the total 140 votes of the 3 top vote getters is due to the fact that more AIS judges voted for another iris for Dykes... could have been a non tall bearded, or it could have been a non bearded, or another TB.      The 140 votes is a 25.9% decrease in the number of votes of the top three over an average of the past two years.
     And if you look for a clue from last years votes (AIS Oct 2003 bulletin), Crowned Heads received 68 votes for a Wister, but only 59 votes for a Dykes.
    Additionally, last years Wister winners were Crowned Heads (68), Diabolique (51), and Tom Johnson (49), with Poem of Ecstasy (45) as a runner up.
    This year, the runner up Poem of Ecstasy beat out Diabolique who didn't make it to the top three.
    One of last year's runner up to the Dykes was Fancy Woman with 58 votes, just one vote away from this year's winner, but Fancy Woman didn't make it to the top three this year.
    If we knew the total votes cast for a Dykes (judges can only cast one vote), we would find that the winner received less than the 42% of the votes.   I'd be interested in knowing.
Kitty Loberg
Northern Calif.

Congratulations to this years Winners

DYKES MEMORIAL MEDAL

59 CROWNED HEADS (Keith Keppel)

Runners-up:
44 TOM JOHNSON (Paul Black)
37 JURASSIC PARK (Larry Lauer)

JOHN C. WISTER MEDAL (TB)

123 SPLASHACATA (Richard Tasco)
62 WORLD PREMIER (Schreiner)
45 POEM OF ECSTASY (Ben Hager)

Runners-up:
44 FOGBOUND (Keith Keppel)
42 ROMANTIC EVENING (Joseph Ghio)
41 SWINGTOWN (Schreiner)

KNOWLTON MEDAL (BB)

88 ORANGE POP (Larry Lauer)

Runners-up:
73 LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE
(Elvan Roderick)
65 APRICOT TOPPING (Paul Black)

HANS AND JACOB SASS MEDAL (IB)

87 GNU RAYZ (Brad Kasperek)

Runners-up:
85 LONDONDERRY (Keith Keppel)
70 FATHOM (Marky Smith)

WILLIAMSON-WHITE MEDAL
(MTB)

106 MERIT (Kenneth Fisher)

Runners-up:
82 MINI-WABASH (Riley Probst)
73 WISTFUL WISTERIA (Opal Wulf)

COOK-DOUGLAS MEDAL (SDB)

52 MINIDRAGON (Marky Smith)

Runners-up:
35 RUBY ERUPTION (Chuck Chapman)
29 FOREVER BLUE (Chuck Chapman)
28 BLACKBERRY JAM
(A. & D. Willott)

CAPARNE-WELCH MEDAL (MDB)

57 DINKY CIRCUS (Paul Black)

Runners-up:
48 LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
(A. & D. Willott)
40 GNUZ SPREAD (Brad Kasperek)

CLARENCE G. WHITE MEDAL
(AR & AB) (Pure aril and arilbred irises of
½ or more aril content)

42 CHOCOLATE MINT (Richard Tasco)

Runners-up:
25 OMAR’S VALOR (Carl Boswell)
15 DESERT ATTIRE (Howard Shockey)

WILLIAM MOHR MEDAL (AB)
(Arilbred irises of ¼ but less than ½ aril
content)

20 DESERT CELEBRATION
(Lin Flanagan)

Runner-up: