Re: HYB: Spartan

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Spartan
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:05:50 -0400

SPARTAN must be one of the tougher reds around.  30+ yrs ago, I was
given 2 or 3 very similar tough but unlabeled reds that have since
disappeared in beds long since abandoned to weeds & pasture.  They were
all similar to SPARTAN, & I think I've heard long time iris growers in
this area say it was a super tough iris here.  I never tried to ID mine
for sure.

Delighted to hear you are using it for breeding Chris - what crosses did
you make?

<Here's an elegant old garden TB in SPARTAN. One of my favorites, also
                   used as a breeder this year.  Chris>
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8