Re: OT: home

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: OT: home
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:35:21 -0400

Dave, you didn't tell us you had a natural "rock garden."
Just out of curiosity--what native species do you have?  Is there a fuzzy *Astragalus*  that grows in a compact clump, by chance?  Or *Calochortus,* *Penstemon* species?
I always looked forward to spring in the desert/steppe areas around home in SW Idaho.  We were nearly as dry as you, I think.  We averaged between six and nine inches rain per year, almost all during the winter.  The annual differences were wide, of course, varying with the North Pacific cycle and the El Nino/La Nino cycles.  On rare occasions we got some Gulf or Arctic air masses seasonally.  The Gulf influences had all been pretty well wrung dry by geotropic influences, our being in a deep basin behind higher elevations in all directions with the narrow and very deep Hells Canyon our only drainage.
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links