HYB: maiden bloom in July 03 08 RE1 Aunt Mary x Romantic Evening

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: maiden bloom in July 03 08 RE1 Aunt Mary x Romantic Evening
  • From: "Robin Shadlow" rshadlow@wildmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:24:34 -0500

I wasn't going to post this seedling because it is pretty
narrow, but I thought I'd get some imput.  This is its
maiden bloom, it opened July 2nd.  When I look at it, I am
inclined to ignore it, but then I wonder if I may be making
things more difficult for myself if I do.  Its certainly
not introducible, but may be of more interest as a parent
than I am giving it credit for.

Aunt Mary (Stanek 00) is a nice plicata that reblooms
here.  There are so many violet plicatas that will rebloom
here that I didn't cross it to a plicata which explains the
rather odd cross.

So here's what my intial impressions are:  indifferent
color, narrow form, acceptable stalk (there is a branch
lower that doesn't show up really well in the shot) bud
count of 8, questionable bloom time for rebloom -assuming
this isn't a one time out of season bloom-  though it was
able to form this stalk through humid mid 90's temps.  It
has a second stalk that isn't fairing quite as well.  Plant
health is good.  Flower size is above average for the other
seedlings from rebloom crosses. I would think that it would
have a little better branching in spring conditions.
Substance is decent.

I'll post some of its sibs too.

I imagine I'll watch it for another year at least, but was
wondering what you all might think.

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

Help Make Poverty History  Sign the ONE Declaration:
http://www.care2.com/go/z/endpoverty

http://www.Care2.com  Free e-mail. 100MB storage.  Helps charities.

Yahoo! Groups Links