HYB:Freeze to Freeze

  • Subject: [iris-photos]HYB:Freeze to Freeze
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:51:06 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2005 12:19:12 P.M. Central Standard Time, janicelauritzen@yahoo.com writes:
We need to do that.  Rebloomers can't do it all.  I think we need to push the VE and VL iris.
In a discussion of Bob's seedling 98-134, Janice said the above.

In my area, the VE irises rarely bloom well.  If they don't get frozen out, I get distorted stalks.

I'm not sure we all want irises that bloom in the 100+ days . . . I have a memory of blooms on Jean Guymer one summer (mid-eighties) when we had several 105 days!  Not a pretty sight.  We've not had many days like that, until this year.

We have a lot of new people on here who might be interested in hybridizing toward the year round iris.  For the record, there are 4 types of rebloomers: repeat, cycle, everbloomers & sporadic rebloomers.

I believe that combining the four types of rebloomers will produce ever blooming irises.

The repeat bloomer is probably the least understood.  These throw up extra stalks not long after regular bloom season.  We've recently discussed ROMANTIC EVENING as being this type.  My own SUMMER RADIANCE is another.  This is probably the most under reported class because some say they aren't really rebloomers!  But, they are listed in the judges handbook and in various publications.

The cycle rebloomer has a set and distinct second season of bloom.  One of my favorites of this type is SUMMER OLYMPICS.

Everbloomers are the ones that can bloom, again, any time rhizomes mature.  Could be June, July, August, Sept, etc.  IMMORTALITY is probably the best know of this group, but FEED BACK is another.  Also, SUGAR BLUES.

The sporadic rebloomers make up the largest class.  This is the group that reblooms occasionally but not dependably in my part of the country.  In California and other warm areas these often reach everbloom class.  Unfortunately, unlike the everbloomer, they rarely do so in the colder climates.

In my region I've seen summer or fall bloom from MY VALENTINE, BEVERLY SILLS, & VICTORIA FALLS, (many others) but only rarely.  And only if certain cultural needs are met.

If enough hybridizers combine the most beautiful of the sporadic rebloomers with the most prolific of the other three classes . . . and circulate them . . . we will be well on our way to everblooming irises.  With a lot of work and enough varieties we can reach this level with irises.  Ben Hager thought we'd be there by now!

This is why I think it's so important to know what is reblooming in California, Australia, Virginia, etc..

Just do it!  Pick out your favorite hardy rebloomer and your favorite ruffled & laced sporadic rebloomer and make those crosses!!

A question!  Are rebloom carriers just sporadic rebloomers that haven't rebloomed for me yet??  ;-)

Iris plants Iris Biology
Blue iris Iris bulb Iris flower

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS