Re: TB: PRISM VIEW (for Kent)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: PRISM VIEW (for Kent)
  • From: Kent Appleberry appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:36:37 -0600

Cool, Linda!  That's a very fine photo, so if the flower was even prettier, it must have been very nice.  Your photo, along with the other one I've seen, confirms that PV is really a bicolor.  The description that Char Holte sent me (thanks again Char!) goes like this:

(Richard Ernst, R. 1993). Sdlg. F147A. TB, 34" (86 cm), ML.
"Cool lavender violet blend with brown veining, F. with pastel brown rim; beards yellow, tipped white; ruffled; slight sweet fragrance. Afternoon Delight X B106: ((Millrace x San Leandro) x Ringo). Cooley 1992."

Maybe this has already been done, but it might be fun to post photos of the iris that are most different from their official descriptions.  Maybe next year when I have some photos myself.  Given what you say in your other note about PV fading, I might try it in part shade.

Thanks for the photo.  Thanks for the input on TIME WILL TELL too.  I've never seen the purple stalks, but the flower looks good in the photos.  Doesn't seem to be widely grown, though.  Maybe others are growing later versions too.  SMOKIN looks similar to me, very nice.  Seems to have less of a dark rim on the standards, slightly more flared falls with more disciplined ruffling.  But that's just based on photos.

Linda Doffek wrote:
Not the best photo, I thought it was quite a bit prettier than this.   But you get the general idea...
Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI