Diploid X Tetraploid Success???

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Diploid X Tetraploid Success???
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

I couldn't stand waiting any longer and since this pod
had started to brown on one side I harvested it. The
seed parent, I'm pretty sure is HONORABILE (although I
collected the mother plant from a hill along the
highway, years ago). I've only ever gotten seeds once
from this plant, from pollen of Iris suaveolens var.
mellita. Unfortunately I never got those to germinate.
Anyway, I was trying tetraploid pollen from MUSKOKA
SUNSET on various diploids that weren't already being
used for other crosses, and HONORABILE happened to be
one of them. A few pods hung on for longer than
normal, but only this one made it to what seems like
maturity. I've already harvested a surprising number
of what looked like fully formed seeds from another
diploid seedling X MUSKOKA SUNSET, but these have
shriveled on drying and now look very discouraging.
So, I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I'll let you
know how these dry.
I've still got three large pods on ODORATISSIMA from
MUSKOKA SUNSET and several "balloon-y" looking pods on
something viable from those.

Do You Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links