Re: purple base foliage

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: purple base foliage
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:14:35 -0000

I don't have a photo of the foliage, just the bloom.  I checked and
there is no trace of PBF on the fans now, not even after peeling away
some old leaves.  I don't recall seeing any in the spring when PBF is
visible, but that could be faulty memory and/or not paying attention.
It's pretty much a cool weather phenomenon here and therefore very
temporary.  It wouldn't be visible very readily at this time of year
and shows mostly in fans of new spring growth.  It has to be really
strong as it is in AMERICAN SWEETHEART to be easily detected at this
time of year. Some, like TENNESSEE GENTLEMAN, never show it strong but
it is nearly always something easily detected.  For some reason it's
less likely to fade on a few like TG.  TG, though, also has purple
tinged pods.  The spathes aren't, but the seedpod has the purple/red
tinge.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA