Re: Re: HYB: Seeds-Tectorum X Bearded

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Seeds-Tectorum X Bearded
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:25:00 -0700 (PDT)

Although I would never have time or be careful enough let me suggest embryo rescue. I believe most of the Tectorum X bearded crosses in the 1960's used this technique to improve their germination results. It was demonstrated to me by a grade school teacher that she was able to get about a 70% success rate with her students using only a shoe box instead of a laminar flow hood.

thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com> wrote:
Christy,
I like your optimismistic outlook, but actually those
wide-cross seeds are flatter than they might look. It
doesn't seem like any of them have "meat" inside. I'll
probably give them a try anyway but I don't expect any
germinations.

Chris,
Your right, the pods are probably a little greener
than most people would harvest. I was just getting so
impatient. And I've found that once the seeds start to
change color (to brown), I get pretty good germination
anyway. Usually the pod has started to shrivel and
lighten in color at this time.

Linda,
Most tectorum seeds get a shriveled outer coating for
me, when they dry -- just like a bearded iris seed but
smaller. I sure hope you've got some hybrid seeds
among yours.

Enjoying the discussion [Thanks!] and wishing you all
the best of luck, but especially in your hybridizing
pursuits.
Tom