Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU
  • From: Jean Richter richter@eecs.berkeley.edu
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:57:59 -0700

I would regard Mike Lowe's site (worldiris.com) as
the closest thing to definitive on pictures of historic iris.

In addition to excellent pictures of Mme. Chereau and Ma Mie
(and Pocahontas), there is a great comparison page for various
blue/purple historic plicatas:
http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Small_bl_plics/Display_frame.html

There are also comparison pages for other colors: yellows, variegatas,
amoenas, and one just for Prairie Sunset :-)

Jean Richter
San Francisco bay area, zone 9
currently hip-deep in HIPS rhizomes :-)

Kent Appleberry wrote:

> I've been looking at photos of iris identified by the names in the
> subject line.  Very hard to see a consistent difference, to the point
> that I wonder if these are commonly misidentified, so that the photos
> I'm seeing are confused between them (and possibly others).  How likely
> is such a confusion?  Anyone have a reason to prefer one of these to the
> other?  In other words, how much does it matter?
>
> For the curious, here are photos identified as each:
>
> Madame Chereau (for which I've seen heights listed of 23", 30" and 36")
>
>    http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_Mme._Chereau.html
>    http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may01/msg00050/madamchereau.jpg
>    http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/madamechereau.jpg
>
> http://shepardiris.com/x-irises/general_gallery/iris_e-m/fullimages/Madame