Re: Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU
  • From: Kent Appleberry appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:09:02 -0600

Thanks Anita and Jean for the comments, link and photo.  POCAHONTAS does
further complicate things, as do several others shown at the link.

Here's the rub.  Yes, it's quite obvious if you only look at the two
photos at worldiris that MADAME CHEREAU and MA MIE are very
different--in those photos.  The lighting is different, for one thing,
so the color on the standards of MA MIE is hard to see.  But if you look
at photos of the same plicata from different gardens (pick a popular
modern one that has many photos from reliable sources) you often see
differences far greater than those in those two photos.  I know it's a
regular topic of discussion here that IDing from photos is full of
difficulties anyway.  But it's not just the photos.  Temperature, amount
of sun, soil, and who knows what else often make a big difference in
amount of color, hue, extent of coloration, and so on in the flowers
themselves.

Looking at the other photos I gave the links for shows supposed MA MIEs
that look more like the MADAME CHEREAU photo from worldiris than the MA
MIE one, and vice versa.  Some of these, at least, seem to be from
reliable sources, but the closeness of the patterns makes me wonder if
these iris aren't sometimes indistinguishable.  Or, maybe some of the
photos are mistaken?

Just a couple cases.  This photo is identified as MA MIE, from what I
assume to be reliable source:

http://www.iris-bulbeuses.org/jpg/ma_mie.jpg

To me it looks more like the MADAME CHEREAU photo at worldiris than the
MA MIE one.  The one at the next link is IDed as MADAME CHEREAU:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may01/msg00050/madamchereau.jpg

Looks more like the MA MIE photo from worldiris than the iris-bulbeuses
photo does.

Not a crucial matter for most gardening purposes, of course.  Just a
curiosity for me for now.

Kent

Yahoo! Groups Links