Re: Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU
  • From: Jan Lauritzen janicelauritzen@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:37:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Jean,

I just went to theLowe site and contrasted and compared.  Then I pulled up the picture I took at the St. Louis Convention in the Morris garden.  This clump was labeled Swertii.  As I looked closely at the blue plic marks all the way around the standards and the shape of the flower, I think it is much closer to Pocahontas.  What do you think?

Jan in Chatsworth

Jean Richter <richter@eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
I would regard Mike Lowe's site (worldiris.com) as
the closest thing to definitive on pictures of historic iris.

In addition to excellent pictures of Mme. Chereau and Ma Mie
(and Pocahontas), there is a great comparison page for various
blue/purple historic plicatas:
http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Small_bl_plics/Display_frame.html

There are also comparison pages for other colors: yellows, variegatas,
amoenas, and one just for Prairie Sunset :-)

Jean Richter
San Francisco bay area, zone 9
currently hip-deep in HIPS rhizomes :-)

Kent Appleberry wrote:

> I've been looking at photos of iris identified by the names in the
> subject line.  Very hard to see a consistent difference, to the point
> that I wonder if these are commonly misidentified, so that the photos
> I'm seeing are confused between them (and possibly others).  How likely
> is such a confusion?  Anyone have a reason to prefer one of these to the
> other?  In other words, how much does it matter?
>
> For the curious, here are photos identified as each:
>
> Madame Chereau (for which I've seen heights listed of 23", 30" and 36")
>
>    http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_Mme._Chereau.html
>    http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may01/msg00050/madamchereau.jpg
>    http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/madamechereau.jpg
>
> http://shepardiris.com/x-irises/general_gallery/iris_e-m/fullimages/Madame