Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: MA MIE and MADAME CHEREAU
  • From: Jean Richter richter@eecs.berkeley.edu
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:28:04 -0700

[insert standard disclaimer on the perils of identifying
iris from photographs]

One of the more notable features of Swerti is its recurved
falls - though even on the worldiris site this isn't present
on all of the Swerti pictures. Based on that, and the general
shape of the flower, it's possible that the iris in the Morris
garden is not Swerti but rather one of the other many old blue/purple
plicatas.

This is an extremely common occurrence - there are an awful lot of
mis-identified historics happily flourishing under assumed names
in gardens around the country (and the world, no doubt).
Take a look at the astonishing variation in appearance of
iris called Prairie Sunset in *catalogs*:
http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Catalog_comps/Comparisons.html

Whether this is a big deal or not depends on your point of view,
I guess. As a HIPS member, it's important to me that old cultivars
are preserved, and that means preserving the *correct* cultivar
whenever possible. One of the more valuable tools in this endeavor
is finding old catalog descriptions - the old checklists are pretty
much worthless for identification as they contain so little useful
descriptive information. Many old catalogs, however, have quite detailed
descriptions. Another source is old publications such as the Cornell
bulletin 112, which no lover of historic iris should be without.
A number of these publications are sold as reprints through HIPS.

I'm a little bit unusual among HIPS members in that I also enjoy
"unknowns" - the beauty of a iris isn't diminished to me because
I don't have a cultivar name to put to it. It probably had one
at some point, and perhaps one day I'll be able to put a name to
it again, though it can be a lot of work to do so.

My advice to those out there to whom definitive identification
is not that important - enjoy your iris, but please don't
feel you have to assign a name to them! This is how misidentifications
get propagated - someone thinks "oh, this kinda looks like Swerti,
so I'll call it Swerti" and the next time they divide it and pass
it along to their neighbor it has "Swerti" written on the fan.
If you don't know, just call it "pretty petite purple plicata"
or something :-)

Jean

Yahoo! Groups Links