Re: TB: How to Plant this "Vertical" Rhizome?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] TB: How to Plant this "Vertical" Rhizome?
  • From: Patricia Wenham h.schinkep@verizon.net
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:35:18 -0700

Mike,

I have received such rhizomes and planted them with no ill placed increases.  The increases form close to the leaves so they should not form too far below the ground.
Patti

As you can see, the fan is at the top of the rhizome which is positioned "directly downward." Normally, when I have planted a rhizome, I lay it more or less horizontally  on the ground and its fan(s) stick straight up. However, if I lay this rhizome horizontally, the fan will be virtually parallel with the ground. If I position the fan vertically, the rhizome will be positioned straight down into the ground, and I am wondering if it will grow and multiply to deeply under the surface as a consequence. I feel that the latter choice must be the correct one, but it is so different from other plants I have received that I would like your validation.

Thanks,
Mike in Zone 8, South Carolina