Re: TB: How to Plant this "Vertical" Rhizome?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: How to Plant this "Vertical" Rhizome?
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:43:37 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Matt:

Sometimes when a clump is growing extremely vigorously rhizomes will grow on top of each other and this is what I suspect has happened. It would appear that none of the roots, which are nubs on the large younger portion, have developed into feeder roots. Despite the orientation of the fan I would plant this so that these quarter inch nubs have contact with the soil. This may require burying the end into the soil but I would try to do this as little as possible. TBs are usually very tough and however you plant it I feel it is likely to do well. If you have a great concerned dig a hole and plant it along the side of the hole leaving the hole open.  Again these plants are tough. I would suggest that they tolerate dryness more than too much moisture so keep this in mind. I wish you luck and maybe some other authorities will weigh in.

Bob Pries

If you are not a member, consider joining the American Iris Society. AIS website easy to find.

matbeach1@aol.com wrote:
Hello,

I have received this rhizome, and I seek your expertise. This is the first rhizome shaped like this that I have seen.

As you can see, the fan is at the top of the rhizome which is positioned "directly downward." Normally, when I have planted a rhizome, I lay it more or less horizontally  on the ground and its fan(s) stick straight up. However, if I lay this rhizome horizontally, the fan will be virtually parallel with the ground. If I position the fan vertically, the rhizome will be positioned straight down into the ground, and I am wondering if it will grow and multiply to deeply under the surface as a consequence. I feel that the latter choice must be the correct one, but it is so different from other plants I have received that I would like your validation.

Thanks,
Mike in Zone 8, South Carolina

Iris plants Iris Biology
Blue iris Iris bulb Iris flower