Re: Help matching photos to names !

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Help matching photos to names !
  • From: Laurie Frazer lauriefr@localnet.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:38:27 -0500

On Jul 6, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Beth Adams wrote:

> Thanks a ton....
>
> I've been struggling for years trying to figure out a labeling scheme
> that would stand up to our weather (Zone 4A)...
>
> This year I settled on zinc stakes with a paint pen... those dumb
> markers they give you wash right off !
>
> -Beth

Beth,

The most reliable form of garden ID isn't markers at all; it's garden
maps.  With all the 4-legged traffic through my iris beds, I'd lose
track of everything if I didn't keep accurate bed maps.  My markers go
missing all the time!  Of course it's easier to keep bed maps if you
have your irises planted in rows in separate beds like I do, but they
can be used effectively in mixed plantings, as well, as long as you
plan your plantings well.  For instance, if you have several similarly
colored tall beardeds in your collection, plant them in separate areas
around your yard.  That way your bed map can simply state the names of
the irises in each planting area, i.e. Mer du Sud and Midnight Revelry
on the south side of the house; Last Hurrah and Midnight Caller on the
east side of the house.

Laurie

lauriefr@localnet.com
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg