{Disarmed} Re: OT -- Kentucky (Was HYB: Rebloom)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] OT -- Kentucky (Was HYB: Rebloom)
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@cox.net
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:38:08 -0400

Annette  --  Even after last evening's downpour, I was able to plant again today.  (Good drainage in the new beds.) Now, must dig and replant two more beds quickly.
Lexington is great horse country, of course.  My great-great-great grandfather, Alexander Breckenridge, sold the acreage in Bourbon County that he inherited from his father, which is now Claiborne Farm (home of Seabiscuit and Secretariat), and leased 1,000 acres known as "The Military" lying between Lexington and Paris, where he bred the thoroughbreds that he raced throughout the Bluegrass.  It was his bad luck to have a drought the first year that he had the land, and he was in a years-long court battle with the lessor, who witnesses said had represented that the springs on the land were perennial.  Still, that limestone country is wonderful.  My cousin Lucy Crump was one of the ladies whose volunteer work maintained Ashland, Henry Clay's home.  I named my first registered iris for her.  We had planned to put some irises in one of the gardens at Ashland, but Lucy passed away before we could do it.  --  Griff