{Disarmed} Re: Opinions Please?

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Opinions Please?
  • From: GormleyGreenery@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:51:11 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/2006 9:37:54 AM Central Standard Time, nakihee@gmail.com writes:

I received two iris rhizome orders in the mail yesterday.  Both came from CA.  I was so terrible disappointed with one of the orders that I called the company in question to request a refund.  She assured me that the rhizomes in question would grow....just to plant them and I would be pleasantly surprised in the spring.  I have been growing iris for over 25 years and I have been hybridizing for about 3 years.  I have never ever seen iris that look this bad.

I would love to know if you think the iris on the right side of the enclosed photo will grow.  These are iris from the 2 different companies that I received from.  I sent this picture to the company when I requested a refund.  She politely told me to just plant the iris, but did not want to refund my money.  Is there a chance that these might grow in your personal opinions???????????????????

My personal opinion is "yes plant them"  In Missouri, often our dug irises look like the ones on the right whereas often ordered ones, especially from CA look like the ones on the left.  For us, the best success rate on the "fat kids" is to leave them outside for a while to dry out and that minimizes the loss to rot in our garden.

Many hybridizers/sellers "shave off" the roots (we don't) but I have notices no difference in how they grow.  I used to pot the "shaved" guys to give them a head-start but don't bother anymore.

Do keep track of the ones on the right and if they don't grow well, do let the seller know.  Most sellers will replace them.

Rita Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO

Rita Gormley