Re: Hyb: Pods

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Hyb: Pods
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:20:48 -0000

Interesting thread.  Bee pods are relatively uncommon here, but they
generally have a normal quotient of seeds and are not balloons.
Balloons are common when I use a chemical in an attempt to get a
take between parents that would result in a plant with unbalanced
sets of chromosomes.  Balloons are prone to display the deep furrows
between the seed chambers.  Curved pods, though, often indicate that
seeds have formed in only one or two of the seed chambers and the
empty chamber(s) causes the curved shape.  You simply can't rule out
having seeds without checking.  Making those unbalanced crosses give
pods with a soft, hollow feel and deep furrows but they can
sometimes just be pods with only a few seeds with lots of air in the
chambers.  True also of some very small pods that have had from 1-5
seeds.  Since I attempt lots of crosses that, if I'm very lucky,
will only yield 1-8 seeds anyway, the curved pods and deep furrows
are still possible housing for seeds.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA