Re: SPU Monspur Cambridge Blue

  • Subject: Re: SPU Monspur Cambridge Blue
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 13:21:27 -0700 (PDT)

Jan; the American Iris Society was born in 1920. One
of the main reasons for forming was that there were so
many hybrids with similar cultivar names and often the
same iris with several names that they saw the need to
form an organization to straighten things out. Because
registration didn't exist before 1920 that is the
earliest registration date. But there were many Iris
hybrids mentioned in the botanical literature and
sometimes the date of their publication is listed.
These are the dates one would find before 1920. The
first accumulated checklist was 1929 but sometimes
yearly lists were published between 1920-1929. I
believe we really didn't get yearly R&Is until after
1939 which is why that checklist is so important. The
39 checklist also gave references to mentions in the
horticultural and botanical literature with the early
dates. I believe today the AIS has one of the best
registration systems of all cultivated plants. It is
hard to say when the first Iris hybrids were
intentially created but I would guess that Sir Michael
Foster might have been the first, his first Iris
publication was in 1881, If I remember correctly he
produced a series of seedlings called Monspur becaues
they were crosses of Iris monnieri and Iris spuria,
Barr selected from they seedlings some to introduce.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/

> > ---------------------------------
> > We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love
> > (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures
> list.
>

> ---------------------------------
> Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with
> an Edge to see what's on, when.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group