Re: RE:Pod Damage

  • Subject: Re: RE:Pod Damage
  • From: Vicki <jvickic@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:49:29 -0700

Thomas,
We have had a series of visits by an Entomologists, from the Plant Division of Oregon Department of Agriculture, including lab tests, on the soil and they report no iris borers.  It's been suggested that some type of bee may be the critter.  We also find earwigs in the iris occasionally.
Vicki

thomas silvers wrote:

Vicki,
I just noticed a big fat Iris tectorum seed pod with a
hole just like the one you posted. It was just a
bee-pod, so I peeled it open to see if the offender
might still be inside. It sure WAS... a big fat pink
iris borer -- of the [usually] rhizome-eating kind.
I've seen plenty of borers, but this is the first I've
seen inside of a seed pod.
So if you've got borers there... (and I'm hoping that
you don't) ...that could be one possibility.
Tom

Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=43451/grpspId=1707632694/msgId=39524/stime=1184066572/nc1=3848627/nc2=3848443/nc3=4699084

__._,_.___
Yahoo! News