HYB: Green tints in seedlings

  • Subject: HYB: Green tints in seedlings
  • From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@qwest.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 16:46:08 -0700

When I first started pollen daubing, I thought of trying to improve the green coloration in irises.  I quickly gave it up because I decided that it was too difficult, would take more time than I have to accomplish, and I would be looking at too many uglies on the way.  This spring I was surprised by two seedlings from Polish Princess X Cast of Characters with shades of green.  It is not easy to see in the picture of 77-36 B, but there is a definite olive green in and around the tip of the beard and on the back of the standards.  77-36 A is a white iris with chartreuse hafts and rim on the falls.  Because these are not crowding anything better they will get to bloom again next year, and I will pay closer attention to it.  Also they have several siblings that haven’t bloomed yet.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

JPEG image

JPEG image