Re: HYB TB Photo: SLY FOX x CELESTE correction

  • Subject: Re: HYB TB Photo: SLY FOX x CELESTE correction
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:44:07 -0700

Betty, I'm so glad for your questions.  Why?  Because I mistakenly wrote Celeste when in fact the pod parent was Lady Celesta. (which is a (more modern day) light blue). Thus the one (so far) resulting blue seedling w/ beard.

(Bernard Hamner by Shepard Iris Garden, R. 1994). Sdlg. 89-27. TB, 38" (97 cm), M.
Pale blue white self; beards dark blue. (Song of Norway x Sea Spell) X Evening Echo.

I thought I had a photo of it, but apparently I do not. It grows at LEAST 38 inches tall, and even taller. One year Lady Celesta grew to be 44".

Sometimes I use paper bags once an iris is pollinated, or I remove the falls, ........and sometimes I do not.

NOTE: I've begun to think that more than one pollen parent can fertilize an iris, in fact I'm about 99.9% it happens.  So, if a bee had went into one of the chambers to pollinate the pod parent before me, and I came by a few minutes later...................the other 2 empty chambers would now also hold the 2nd pollen parents' pollen. I've purposely did this earlier in my hybridizing not really expecting BOTH pollen parents and their genetic matter to materialize. I expected one or the other pollen parent to have been the parent of all the seeds. This was not the case. I had some very bizarre results! This year I've tried duplicating a dual set of pollen parents onto one iris. Alas - the cross did not take. But, in years to come - - I'll now carefully be choosing to do just this on certain desired crosses.  :-)

~ Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.