Re: HYB: Megglethorp seedling pod fertility

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Megglethorp seedling pod fertility
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:21:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,
Oh no, not from one pod - that WOULD be a great seed set. I think that was from around 6 or 7 pods.

Now the 'American Sweetheart' plateful of seeds (posted the same day) WAS from just one pod.

I'm like you I'd consider 20 - 30 from one pod to be an abundance! I'm usually happy to get 4 or 5 seeds per pod from some of the offbeat combinations I try. That was the case with a recent cross of a diploid pallida hybrid pod parent pollinated by Iris perrieri. I was fully expecting all of the pods to be balloon pods - since Iris variegata X perrieri has given me that. But to my happy surprise there were actually a few good seeds in each pod of the pallida hybrid. I'm glad I did the dozen or more attempts on that one or else I wouldn't have the 15 or 20 seeds I did get. [Not all of the flowers even set pods]
Take care, Tom

Re: HYB: Megglethorp seedling pod fertility

From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:14:24 -0400

I count around 60? seeds. Are those all from one pod? <Below> average
count for you??

I'm envious! ;-(

Lucky to get more than 20 or 30 here, at least from registered parents.
40 is a <lot> for me. Seedling x seedling usually do better, but I
don't think I've ever seen more than 70 seeds/pod.

Life in the "vale" combined with weird gene matches, I guess.

<The seed number per pod might have been a little below average Tom Silvers>

Linda Mann
TN