ReHYB: ? Recessive Yellow

  • Subject: ReHYB: ? Recessive Yellow
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:32:29 -0400

A neat looking seeedling, but not likely a recessive yellow.

In an iris like Tropical Delight, the lycopene pink pigment is
cartenoid pigment that is prevented from becoming yellow by a set of
four recessive genes callet tangerine genes, symolized as "t" This it
is basically a repressed yellow, and in any cross where there isn't
four sets of t in seedling, the cartenoids will express as yellow.

Replicator also has yellow underlying its anthocyanin pigment. Do the
hot water test to see for yourself.

So yellow from both parents

The spot pattern comes from Replicator

Coiuld be a recessive reduction of anthocyanin, but proably not, as
prescense of anthocyanin is a dominant , and very often you get non
anthocyanin seedlings from crossing two anthocyanin parents, as some
seedlings just don't get a dosage of anthocyanin gene.

Chuck Chapman

HYB: ? Recessive Yellow

Posted by: "Impressive Irises"

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:20 pm (PDT)

Here's an interesting one for discussion. Flowered for the first time

this morning, from breeding - Replicator x Tropical Delight

Looks like a possibly recessive yellow, with thumbspot, yellow rim and
broken colour plus rebloom.

Lots of increase. Repicator grows OK for me but Tropical Delight hardly

grows at all for me and only flowers every few years.

I know Tropical Delight is registered as having "amber yellow" stds but

to me they always look peach, or is the peach from co-_expression_ of

and yellow.

I'd appreciate all comments

Colleen Modra

Adelaide Hills South Australia.