Re: Photo Use Guidelines
  • Subject: Re: Photo Use Guidelines
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:00:04 -0700

The general rules of thumb are as follows (recognizing that I am not a lawyer and what I say has no legal standing):

Copyright of a photograph generally belongs to the photographer in perpetuity.

A copyrighted item may not be used for commercial purpose without permission.

A copyrighted item may be used for educational purposes (without obtaining permission)

There are other "fair use" provisions, but copyright law is VERY complex and even the statements above can have complexities.

The net of it all is that the pictures on iris-photos and the Wiki should not be used for commercial purposes (including club sales). That a organization is a 501 C (3) non-profit does not create an exception to that rule.

If anyone knows better please let us know.