[PHOTO] Iris attica | Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:31:38" />

[PHOTO] Iris attica

This is a photo from Harald Mathes.  I scanned it in to share with everyone
else going through iris withdrawal during this hot dry summer.  <G!>

These are some Iris attica that I collected in Greece last summer and sent
to Harald.  He was lucky and got a purple one.  All mine were brown &
yellow (like the one in the background of the photo).  Hopefully next
spring one of mine will bloom purple too.

I'd have to guess the climate these came from is about Zone 8 or 9.  I know
the chromosome count is all wrong, but it seems to me if these could be
used in breeding, that the folks down south could have some MDBs that bloom
reliably.  Mine were really fussy about the cold wet spring here and didn't
produce pollen.

Well, anyway, just enjoy the picture!!  :)

JPEG image

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com