[PHOTO] I.pseudacorus | Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:39:57" />

[PHOTO] I.pseudacorus

I.pseudacorus is one from two representatives of Lithuanian native. Sccesfuly it is not rarity and one can see often when traveling by country way. But to find it in places where native is more impressive it is not so easy. One place I found before 15 years remain beautiful until now. I.pseudacorus in this place is growing in swamp where before hundred years was lake. Now the lake side is about 30m from this place. But the swamp have conquered rather large area and the part of previous lake is still dry land. What is most interesting for this place is not from iris environment. In mid ages in this place have succeded great Lithuanian-Crusader battles. For crossing swamps and lakes Lithuanians often equiped under water meandrous ways from stones and only they knew how to cross lake safe. The enemy always in theese windings have lost right direction and perished in the water. Now part of that ways can be observed in the dry land. Such is rest of our history. In addition to yellow flag I must tell that companion plants are quite impressive too: ferns, Calla alustris in abundance and other wild plants as swamp grases. Included is pic of C.palustris with ferns.
Edmundas Kondratas
SSI, BIS member
Kaunas, Lithuania, zone 5

JPEG image