Re: Species:Versicolor:white

>This is a near-white Iris Versicolor blooming for the first time,
>the third year from seed. Seed was from SIGNA Seed Exchange.
>I have never seen a flower this white in local wild Versicolor.
>Dan Mason   zone 3, NW Ontario

Dan, I really like this one.  That is a great photo.  I am growing a number
of versicolors right now, but only two have bloomed, both shades of blue.
In chatting with Walter Moores about this species, he gave me the nifty
idea of breeding for yellows.  All versicolors have yellow in them, but
none are totally yellow selfs.  Whaddya think?

For 2 years I had Between The Lines and Kreighoff growing in my TB beds.
But they just sat there not doing much.  This spring I dug them up and put
them in large pots with fresh soil, time released fertilizer, and plenty of
moisture, and they are growing like wild.  Two other types of versicolors
(Cat Mousam, and an unnamed versicolor) grow just fine in the TB beds.
Obviously there's a lot to be said for genetic diversity here.

All my other versicolors are from Signa seed and are still growing in pots.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6

Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!