Re: HYB: seedling 27-26-A

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: seedling 27-26-A
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:26:13 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "MARVIN EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@w...> wrote:
"...before I had heard that placatas should not be crossed with
regular irises...."

Should not?  I think that your seedling emphatically says you did
something RIGHT with this cross.  It's lovely!

As to plicatas--crosses to self-colored iris often--but not always--
produce very hafty or marked offspring in the FIRST generation, but
that is not all they can do.  Look at the pedigrees of Schreiner
black irises---Rococo (a plicata) is in the pedigree of most of the
more recent ones.  It was used for its ruffling, and did give that
result.

I have also seen seedlings from plicatas x selfs that were very clean
selfs.  It just depends on the genetics of the various parents.
There aren't any arbitrary rules about making crosses.  Tain't
no "SHOULDs" involved.  It's just that some things work, some don't.
You've gotta be brave (and persistent) if making plicata outcrosses,
that's all, and go on into advanced generations.

Neil Mogensen,  zone 6b/7a near Asheville, NC