Re: Re: ALPINE LAKE

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: ALPINE LAKE
  • From: dwiris@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:53:53 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/01 11:36:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
laurief@paulbunyan.net writes:

<< I've had a few irises show purple streaking this year, and for the most
part I've
 thought it added great interest to the blooms.  Is there some way to tell
the
 difference between mosaic virus and legitimate color breaking? >>

Hi Laurie,

I don't know what causes the streaking in miniature dwarfs, especially.  We
had some this year on ALPINE LAKE as well as a number of others, but not as
heavily as on your clump of ALPINE LAKE.  It seems like the weather at the
time the little ones are setting up their blooms has something to do with it.
 Some years there is very little streaking.  You don't usually get this type
of streaking on later blooming irises.  Don't worry about the picture--just
wanted you to know that isn't the way it should look.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio, Zones 5/6