[PHOTO] beards? | Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:07:09" />

[PHOTO] beards?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] beards?
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:06:30 -0400

Iris brevicaulis is still blooming in my garden.  As I was collecting
pollen to freeze & save for next year I noticed the signal patch was
fuzzy with hairs.  All my other LAs have ceased to bloom so I have no
way to know if they are all like that, or if this is unique to this
species/clone.  Iris tridentata is also still in bloom so I
double-checked that one but its signals are perfectly smooth - no
hairs of any kind - not even small ones.

My first impulse was to self it, thinking that I could selectively
breed for this and develop a bearded class of Louisianas.  In
retrospect it sounds like a terrible notion.  A bearded LA?  Well,
I'll keep going and maybe in a couple decades I'll let you know how
it's going.  <G>

I used my scanner to capture some images of the furry little guy.  I
took lots of other images if you want to see it at different angles.

Any ideas???