Re: Fungus. . .

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Fungus. . .
  • From: "doris1434" <doris1434@juno.com>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 13:11:00 -0000

Hi Al: Thanks for sending that site. And yes, I suspected both these
fungi were members of the Phallales family; odor,fly attraction and
emerging from an "egg" were give aways - BUT, I couldn't find
pictures of either one. The one I submitted (chicken foot!)is truly
unique! I'm going to contact the owner of the site you sent and see
what I can learn. Thank you again!
Doris Elevier

--- In iris-photos@y..., "albee703" <alhbee@a...> wrote:
> --- In iris-photos@y..., doris1434@j... wrote:
> > Dennis Kramb posted some photographs of a weird fungus growing in
> his
> > garden. Here's two photos of another very strange one I found in
my
> cold
> > frame in Arkansas a couple years ago that I have been unable to ID
> > despite all my reference books on mycology. I think I know the
> family. .
> > but cannot find a positive ID. Can some really knowledgeable
person
> out
> > there ID these for us??
> > Doris Elevier
> > USDA 7b, Sunset 11
> > El Paso, TX
>
> Hi Dennis and Doris;
>
> Is it a stinkhorn? It has a noxious smell and uses flies as the
> source for cross-fertilization. Here is site to look at:
> http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/july99.html
>
> Al Bullock
> Z7 No Va

Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,