[PHOTO] Mountain Violet | Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:16:55" />

[PHOTO] Mountain Violet

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Mountain Violet
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:25:29 -0700

Here are a couple of pictures of my number 1 favorite iris, Mountain Violet, Hamner, '85.  I saw it first at Shephard's Iris Garden about 1987 and thought it the most beautiful flower I had ever seen.  Of course, I bought it and paid the most I had ever paid for a flower.  It had an important part in getting me interested in modern irises.  It produces excellent clumps and rhizomes.  I have given it away by the bushel.  At one time I had a thirty foot row of it across the front of my garden, a real passer-by stopper.  It blooms faithfully, often from mid-March to late April and has won me several blue ribbons.  It resists all the common iris  problems.  The only thing I can criticize it for is that it has no pollen and neither I nor the bumble bees have ever succeeded in making a pod on it, so I must conclude that it is completely sterile.

Francelle Edwards    Glendale, AZ   Zone 9

JPEG image

JPEG image