Re: Arilpums (was SDB: Party Animal)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Arilpums (was SDB: Party Animal)
  • From: "Francesca R. Thoolen" irisgirl@attbi.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:02:33 -0700

Signals usually are applied to any iris related to arils in any degree if
they show the 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch round spot just below the beard. They do
not occur as such on non-aril derivatives. The nearest thing to them might
be pumilas who carry them. Spots vary from signals in that the signal
usually has a very slightly raised surface, almost like velvet if you
stretch your imagination; the colors of which in the past were mostly dark,
altho thanks to Howard Shockey and Pete McGrath and others we are starting
to see them appearing in orange, burnt orange, etc. Usually when one crosses
two arilbreds which carry signals, they have a better chance of producing
some seedlings with those signals. There was an article written about this
years ago by Kenneth Kidd, Signals in Arilbreds, 1964. p.24. You may have
seen a photo on this site of Spirit of Caleb, McGrath 2002. It is a good
example of what a signal looks like.

Francesca