Re: Help with NOID

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Help with NOID
  • From: "nmogens" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:19:15 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Brown" <ddbro@l...> wrote:
> I could be way wrong but doesn't I. Bucharica grow like this? --
Dana Brown

I grew bucharica for a number of years in Idaho.  It looks exactly
like the picture shown.  My understanding is that the entire Juno
section (? Scorpiris?) has foliage that look like miniature corn
stalks.  Bucharica is, I expect, the most vigorous for most of our
garden conditions, but some of the others--if one can find a source--
would well be worth the effort.  They are not only fun, but are tidy
and well behaved garden subjects.  After bloom, like with daffodils,
the foliage dies back and can be removed if I remember correctly.

The type are unique to my knowledge in having a true bulb that looks
like a daffodil bulb, but the roots are perennial like hemorocallis
roots.  One has to be careful in digging and dividing not to injure
the roots too severly.

Neil Mogensen,  now in z 6b/7a near Asheville/Hendersonville, NC