Re: Pollinating question

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Pollinating question
  • From: hbarbe406@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:50:07 EDT

Thanks for the detailed answer, Bill.   However, it bring up another question... :o] *I can't help but smirk as I visualize you glancing heavenward*
How do I know when the stigma is producing stigmatic fluid?
Thanks again
Heidi

The short answer is yes. It is however, more important that the stigma be

producing stigmatic fluid at the time the pollen is being applied and precautions be taken to retard rain from dripping into the crevice between the lips at the time the pollen is being applied and it is not water logged to the point it is holding water.

I do not know the precise reduction in pollen strikes for iris blooms pollinated under these conditions. It does appear to be reduced. I do know that pollen strikes are possible and probable regardless.

In daylilies, the number of pollen strikes is only slightly reduced (about 15%) in periods of intermittent, gentle rain so long as the stigma is receptive (producing fluid).

Smiles,
Bill Burleson 7a/b

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor