My PLAY WITH FIRE looks like yours, and shows up pretty much just like
your photo did (on my monitor anyway!)... I would say it is an
advancement and quite enough for me as fire-engine red wouldn't be my
favorite red... better branching than I had on the ever popular LADY FRIEND.

in nearby soggy new jersey

Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin wrote:
> The first line of the description in the Schreiner's catalog says, "An
> advancement in the development of red iris". Their photo looks even redder
> than mine, with more hints of orange than I see in the garden. It looks
> "fiery", though! My mom picked this iris out because she thought it would
> look nice with the daylilies in bloom- forgetting that the irises are all
> gone before the daylilies pop up.
> I don't think this is true red. True red is more like bright red, "primary
> color" type red, or maybe red corvette-type red, or bright cardinal red.
> Actually, my photo of Play with Fire looks more like both Pat Mitchell's
> Dynamite and Schriener's catalog photo of Dynamite! That flower is spent now
> but when the next one opens I need to check the beard color. PWF in the
> catalog has a red-orange beard and the beard in my photo definitely looks
> more gold, like Dynamite's.
> Cheryl Leigh

           Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444          Fax: 609-518-3720

   cathy@gixxergirl.org           http://www.gixxergirl.org/